With the proliferation of data and the need to access it from anywhere at any time, encryption is rapidly emerging as the best place to start your data security strategy.
Below are six key aspects to keep in mind while choosing the right encryption solution for your organization.
1. Usability: A security product that’s too complicated to use doesn’t offer very much security at all. An encryption solution needs to be comprehensive yet simple: it should protect data everywhere – at rest, in use, or in transit – but shouldn’t take up too much time or IT resources to implement and manage.
Look for an encryption product that’s easy to set up and deploy, with an intuitive management console. It should also allow for simple key management and enforcement of your data protection policy.
2. Multi-platform: Find a solution that covers all types of encryption, including for multiple operating systems like Windows, Mac, Android, iOS.
3. Adaptability: You ideally want a solution that protects your data without getting in the way of daily work. Your encryption solution should adapt to your organization’s workflow – not the other way around.
4. Independent endorsements: Before making a decision, look at what others are saying about a product. Make sure whatever company you choose for your encryption needs has strong third-party endorsements from industry analysts, reviewers and customers.
5. Scalability: As you grow your business, you need an encryption solution that grows with you.
6. Proof of compliance: In the event that the worst happens and your data is compromised, encryption makes it unreadable and unusable by data thieves. If you work in a vertical or location that has specific data protection laws or regulations, auditors will require proof that the data was encrypted.
Learn more about how encryption can work for you, and how to choose the right encryption product. Check out our free and easy-to-understand guide to encryption, fun videos showing you why you need to encrypt, and a comprehensive encryption solution buyers guide at sophos.com/encrypt.
We would like to thank Sophos for providing this Guest Blog Post. The article featured above originally appeared on Sophos Blog.
Sophos began producing antivirus and encryption products nearly 30 years ago. Today our products help secure the networks used by 100 million people in 150 countries. Modern networks and IT demands continue to get more complex, but your IT security doesn’t have to. You shouldn’t have to wrap new security systems around your existing one. There’s a better way. It’s simplified, powerful and proven.
From network to endpoint to server security, our products are designed to eliminate complexity. Simplified products make for simplified workflows. Users spend less time haggling with your admins. IT managers spend less time troubleshooting problems. We know that most organizations don’t have a large team of dedicated security experts. That’s why we design our products to be easy to install, configure and maintain. Whether your business has 5 employees, 5,000 employees, or even more spread across multiple offices, you’ll know everyone is secure with Sophos.